ZiaxPhone: A VoIP Telephony client based on IAX protocol
07.May.2004 Alpha V08 Version :
Add audio setting menue. Some Zaurus ROM Versions
(Sharp V3, C700, OpenZaurus) use a different audio device :
Sharp Zaurus V2.3.8 use /dev/dsp for output and /dev/dsp1 for input.
C7x0 use /dev/dsp for input and output.
Fix ipk package name (typo).
19.April.2004 Alpha V06 Version :
Add multi PBX supported (or other not registerd phone connections)
Use the /bin/sh in the zrun wrapper script for OZ3.3.5 support.
26.March.2004 Alpha V01 Version :
ZiaxPhone is a Voice over IP (VoIP) Telephone client for the Zaurus PDA.
The application is distributed as a freeware for personal use without
any warranty for you own risk.
It is based on the
and run on the original Sharp ROM Version 2.38d with Qtopia V1.5.0 or
The IAX protocol is the signal and transport protocol for
the Asterisk Software PBX.
IAX is simple, lightweight nature gives it several advantages,
particularly in that it can operate easily through NAT and packet
ZiaxPhone is in Alpha status, you are able to call a Asterisk PBX
and access all Phones (or the Mailbox) which are register there.
You are also able to call other IAX clients direct (e.q. two ziaxPhone).
Missing features :
- Dial to any register client on the Asterisk PBX
- Receive calls from the Asterisk PBX
- Direct dial to other IAX client
- Twelve hot keys for speed dial
- Multi PBX supported (register to different Asterisk PBX at the same time)
- No Phone book (only speed dial on hot keys is supported)
- No Noise reduction
- No Echo cancellation
- Some times the registration to Asterisk is discontinuous. If this
happen you are not able to receive a call for this time (up to 5
- Some times the external audio ring didn't work.
For running the ZiaxPhone application choosing the Application tab and
tapping on the ziaxPhone icon.
- Download the ZiaxPhone for Zaurus a ipk package
(maybe use Link Target As in your browser)
- Transfer the xPhone_V06_arm.ipk file to the /mnt/card directory on
- Select the Add/Remove Software item from the Settings tab.
- Click on Install Packages. You will see ziaxPhone listed.
Click on it to install it.
- Exit from the Package Installer and exit from Add/Remove Software.
The first time startup take about 1 min. because ziaxPhone create some
audio files for ringing in the /home/root directory.
This is the installed file list :
Some time the software deintallation didn't work correct. In this case
run the script /home/root/usr/lib/ipkg/info/ziaxPhone.postrm
Asterisk Configuration :
To be able to register ziaxPhone to Asterisk you need to change your
configuration on Asterisk.
Add this lines to /etc/asterisk/iax.conf :
Add this line to /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf :
exten => 5555,1,Dial(iax2/zaurus, 15) ; Ring the interface, 15 seconds maximum
exten => 5555,2,Voicemail(u1234) ; If unavailable, send to voicemail
exten => 5555,3,Hangup
And reload or restart asterisk.
Now start ziaxphone and setup a user zaurus with password
secret and CallID 5555 (Options->Setting).
For developer :
If you like to build your one RISC based IAX client, you need this
patch because the IAX protocol is not word align.
is a patch file for iaxclient/lib/libiax2/src/iax2-parser.c
This Software is as is and is without any warranties.
Have Fun and let me know your experience